Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Reader to Leader Framework

The Reader-to-Leader framework was quite interesting since I could see fragments of my identity (in different parts of my life) in all of the different stated levels of social participation. However, I can’t help but wonder if there is a moment in this framework where users reach the peak in the path (leader) and then go down (reader/contributor). Let me explain further.
Since my early years I began my social participation as a reader mainly influenced by my peers at school. I used to read much but what really caught my attention was a site where users could generate content by posting a picture and a comment…yes, I’m talking about Fotolog. Soon after my experience as a reader I moved on to the Contributor level where I was visible amongst my peers. I had social presence online, yay!
In another platform I developed my Collaborator-self where I used to cooperate with other contributors to share some information about language learning. It was my status in this level the one that led me to moderate a chat room which had connection to a blog (for the same language learning purpose) and so I became a Leader. I would define the audience (sometimes we unfairly banned people, lol, shame on us), moderating relationships amongst users, and so on. I enjoyed it a lot but then I got tired. It wasn’t rewarding enough.
Now, I see my personal self (not my professional self) as a contributor/collaborator in social networks.
What makes leaders remain in that level of participation?
Do leaders get often tired of being at this level? If so, why?
Are we all constantly moving through all the levels?

Going back to my first question: Is there a moment when you get to be a leader that you “naturally” have to go back to previous levels of social participation?

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure they do get tired. Sometimes you're just not that into it anymore. New faces come and they're so full of life and you're just meh. I'm absolutely the same way. I'm too lazy to go further than contributing and that's like in all things.

    I'm just lazy.

    ReplyDelete